Monday, November 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing - Blog Tag + This Week!

This week, guys...this week is going to be a VERY fun week for me. The kind of fun where there is a very good chance I will not be able to sleep. Turns out that bouncing up and down makes sleep hard to come by...

~ Today: I am answering blog tag questions about my upcoming book.
~ Wednesday: Will be the cover reveal for INSOMNIA on YA Books Central. Dude...it is awesome. Seriously.
~ Thursday: I will post the cover here and share some other exciting developments. So yeah...stick around. It's going to be freaking fantastic.

For now, the blog tag:

One of my fellow Lucky 13s, Helen Douglas (the author of After Eden) tagged me with a blog tag that's been traveling around on the blogs of upcoming debut authors. I thought it looked fun, so I am going to give it a go. :)


Blog Tag -- The Next Big Thing


What is the title of your book?

The title is INSOMNIA, but it almost wasn't. There was a book published by Stephen King with the same name not too long ago, so we debated quite a bit about changing it. In the end, we decided that since they're separated by a few years and are in different genres, it would be okay to stick with it.


Where did the idea come from for the book?

I have weird dreams. It's a common thing and I remember a lot of them. I woke up one morning after a particularly odd dream featuring a shark and boxing. I thought, "Man, that was bizarre. I wonder if other people have dreams like that. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what other people's dreams were like?" It kind of evolved from there. *side note* this particular dream may or may not show up in INSOMNIA, guess you'll have to read to find out. ;-)


What genre does the book fall under?

It is a Young Adult Supernatural Psychological Thriller...yeah, say that three times fast.


What is the one sentence synopsis for the book?

Parker spends every night trapped in the dreams of the last person he made eye contact with during the day and it's killing him, until he meets Mia and discovers her dreams may hold the key to his survival.


How long did it take you to write your book?

The first draft took me about 4 months. Editing and revisions took me about 4 more months before I started querying agents--and then there was more editing after I signed with my agent--and more after I sold to Germany & Italy--and more with Flux...

Yeah, this manuscript has been edited within an inch of it's life. :)


Will it be self-published or published through a traditional publisher?

I am going the traditional route. I will be published with Flux and the book will release on June 8th, 2013. It will also be published traditionally in Germany and Italy in 2013. *Wahoo!* :)


Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Hmm...hard choice. Let me think...
Parker: Logan Huffman maybe? But with slightly longer/lighter hair.
Finn: Kendall Schmidt he has the sparkle. :)
Addie: Bella Thorne is exactly what I pictured in my head.
Mia: Kay Panabaker vulnerable + tough, love it.

Well there go two hours of my night. It was super fun though!


What else about your book might pique a reader's interest?

I haven't seen many books with quite this kind of unreliable narration. It was fascinating to write and I hope just as intriguing to read. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's it! Now I'd like to tag three 2013 debuts with fantastic books:

Renee Collins - RELIC
Natalie Whipple - TRANSPARENT
Kasie West - PIVOT POINT

You're up girls! Let's see what you've got. :) And don't forget to stick around for all the other exciting things this week!

6 comments:

  1. HOLY UNICORNS, Jenn!!!! I didn't realize you had a release date. Yay for June 8 2013! Oh man rememeber when you sold to Flux? It feels like ages ago! I can't wait I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing who you picture as your characters! Movie directors, take note. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, Ren! That was the funnest part. I really had a blast doing that. :)

      Delete
  3. So fun! I can't wait to see the cover and to read it so I can see what these characters are like. :-)

    ReplyDelete