Monday, December 3, 2012

To Follow or Not to Follow (Trends) -- That is the Question

I'm going to start off this post by giving some well-known and very wise advice that all writers should know. Are you ready? Ahem...

Do not follow trends.
It will not do you any good.
By the time you finish your book there will be a new trend.
Write what you love instead.

There. I've done my good deed for the day. Everyone gets a cookie. :)

Now comes the other advice...

Don't ignore the trends.

How is that for contradictory?

Here is an example. Let's say that you have two ideas you love equally, but one of them is dystopian and dystopian is extremely hard to sell right now. In that case, leaning toward the other is a smarter decision.

I guess what I'm saying is...both follow your gut and be smart about the business aspect at the same time. Make sense?

What about you? Any good advice to give me on this brisk winter Monday?

10 comments:

  1. Preach it, Jenn.

    "Don't write to the trends" is a cherished platitude of the writing community. And there is truth behind it, BUT! But. But. But.

    We can't pretend that trends don't matter. They do. Ah, how they do. One only has to watch PM for a few weeks, to see the patterns of buying trends.

    So yes, be mindful. Be true to yourself. And hope for a lot of LUCK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Renee. I'll take a little luck on my side any day.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great reminder to everyone reading anything out there right now. Good advice.

    My advice on this brisk winter Monday? Wear warm socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this makes perfect sense. You've got to know what's out there, what's happening, so you can make sure you're keeping it fresh and so you know what's not worth your time (at the time).

    I don't really have any advice but I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's true. I've known a few friends who wrote to the trends and then had to shelve books because that trend ship had sailed when they were ready to submit.

    I say... become the next trend. Write something amazing and make other people want to be like you. And the only way to do that is to write what you love and love what you write :) that's what I try to do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Great comment, Kaylee! Amazing work can't be ignored...regardless of trends.

      Delete
  5. I say go to conferences and ask agents at dinner what's trendy right now and then write THAT! ;). 100% kidding! And for the record, that's not what I asked anyway. Have I told you how striking your cover is? Well, yes. Yes it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, great tips, Jessie. :P Aww, thanks! I love that cover. Striking is a perfect choice of words. :)

      Delete