Monday, January 7, 2013

Finally Saw Les Miserables!

On Friday, I finally saw Les Miserables. This is a big deal to me. When I first saw the previews for it, I turned to my husband and said, "I do not remember ever wanting to see a movie this bad."

I grew up doing musical theater both in school and a local community theater. The first professional musical I ever went to see was when the Les Mis was on tour and my mom took me to see it. I was 11.

It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. It evoked emotions in me I didn't even realize I possessed. Afterward (it was a matinee), we went out to dinner at a Japanese steakhouse type restaurant. My mom and I were flipping through our playbills and they sat a couple at our table. Our conversation went like this:




Them: (laughing) Did you go see that today?
Us: Yes! Did you?
Them: (glance at each other) We were there...
Us: Didn't you love it?
Them: (looking a little bashful) We were in it. We play Marius and Eponine.

Me: *DIES*

I will never forget that moment. They may as well have told me that earlier that day they were Batman and Catwoman. It hadn't occurred to me that after doing something as incredible as that performance was to me...the actors just morphed into regular people going out to dinner.

So, yeah...Les Mis holds a special place in my heart. And I loved this movie. Being able to see the emotions on the characters faces as they went through the story I know so well was magical. Also, Jean Val Jean has NEVER been so sexy (even when they tried to make him un-sexy).

Yum.

What about you? Have you seen it yet? What did you think?

10 comments:

  1. We finally saw it on Saturday. Absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see I wasn't the last in the world. ;-) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Wasn't it awesome? I've seen it twice now and bawled both times, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. And I was the same way. The acting was phenomenal.

      Delete
  3. I went on Friday too! And yes, I loved it and cried like a lunatic almost the entire time! Must be that time of the month for me, because seriously!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, must be for me too then. :P I was ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. I want to see this sooooooo badly. I keep trying to get the hubs to go with me, but he's convinced we need to see The Hobbit first. (We're a little behind with the new releases.) :)

    That's amazing that you were able to meet two of the actors! I might've peed my pants right then and there if I'd been you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I haven't seen The Hobbit either...but I'm dying to. We're a bit behind, too.

      Seriously, I probably just stared at them with my mouth hanging open. My mom was the only reason we had a conversation. I just wanted to take pictures with my brain. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I saw Les Mis on Broadway during my first trip to NYC when I was 14. It was one of those formative moments in a young girl's life. So yes, like you, I have a very special place in my heart for Les Mis.

    No surprise, I cried through half of the movie. It's just such a beautiful story, with such beautiful music. Did I have my quibbles with the movie? Sure. But I didn't even realize them until after. While I watched, I was, once again, completely swept away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw it today iam from egypt ..i loved it very much especially jan valjan ... i think this movie is the best musical movie in the last 10 years ..

    ReplyDelete