Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Paying Attention to What Matters


As writers it is so easy to focus on the end goal: Publishing your book. It's easy to forget that as long as we are continuously working to improve our craft that each step (even the failures and rejections) really is a step forward. I saw a quote a few weeks ago that really stuck with me.

In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to 
see the flowers that blossom at their feet. 
-- Albert Schweitzer

This strikes a chord with me. At different times in my career, I've been guilty of more than failing to see the flowers, I've crushed them beneath my feet. Making them completely unimportant. All because I was too busy focusing on something distant and often out of my control.

Now I'm trying to focus on things close up, things that I can control. I can control whether I write today. I can control the quality of that writing. That's what I'll work on right now.

What about you? Are you more focused on the moon or the flowers today?

7 comments:

  1. I really needed to hear this today. Getting that description or metaphor just right is worth celebrating too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Sometimes those darn things can be so hard!

      Delete
  2. It's often hard when you think everyone around you is already on the moon, but that's just the whole "grass is greener" way of thinking. I've struggled with this on so many levels for so long, I'm exhausted! I love that quote, though. Helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I flip back and forth from moon gazing to flower appreciation. Still trying to find that balance. Love the quote and thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I am definitely in flower mode. Last week was all howling at the moon stuff. But this week, I am in a much better place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've been looking at the dirt. ;) But it's a good reminder and I need to work on that more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Seriously. Love. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete